Time Flies


In 2014 I remember sitting at high school graduation wondering where the last four years went. At the end of my high school career I committed to Ohio Northern University to continue playing baseball and chase my passion of becoming a successful businessman. I chose business because I have always aspired to be just like my dad, who is in business.

Move in day August of 2014 was a very crazy day full of a lot of emotions. I was looking forward to beginning college and getting everything going but as you could imagine my mother was an emotional wreck. When my parents left that day it kind of hit me that I am on my own now. Before I knew it Christmas break was approaching and the first semester of college was coming to an end. Talk about a fast four months. My break was not much of a break because I had to get ready for baseball season, which started right when we got back in January. Baseball freshman year was amazing and it made the rest of the school year fly by.

Freshman year was now over and I had to find myself a job. I really did not want to work in a factory all summer, but I knew it was my only option. Vision Color llc., which is a plastics company about twenty minutes from my home town caught my eye right off the bat. Starting off there in the summer I was put on the production lines (which absolutely sucked) and it was a mess. Ten to twelve hour days in a steaming hot factory messing around with pigments and pearls was not fun. The people that worked there were awesome so they somehow made the job fun. After sophomore year I decided to go back there for the summer and continue working, but this time it was in shipping. Now that was fun because all it required me to do was drive around a skid loader and unload semis as they would back into port. Junior year summer was much different because I needed to find an internship. Vision Color noticed my liking for their company and they allowed me to complete my professional internship in management there. They liked my hard work and dedication towards them over the past three summers that they offered me a job in sales after completion of graduation. Talk about a feeling of relief going into senior year of college knowing that I already had a job when I am done here at ONU in 2018.

While having a job lined up is awesome and all, it also means that my life is slowly coming to an end. For the next 45 years I now have to wake up and do the same thing every single day. I guess the only plus of this whole job thing is that I will have a constant flow of money.


The whole purpose of this blog post is to let everyone know that while you may hate school while you are doing it, keep in mind that one day it will come to an end. All of the friends that you see every single day will soon be living in different parts of the country and you will be moving on in life. All of the sports that you dedicated so much time and energy towards will all come to an end. Enjoy life while you still have one during college.
 

Comments

  1. Jordan,
    I agree that time certainly has flown since freshman year. We have been able to endure four years of schooling at ONU, and are preparing to enter the workforce. However, I disagree a little on your statement that our lives are now slowly coming to an end. I see graduation and employment as a new chapter in our lives that will allow us to truly become who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graduation and employment are for sure the next chapter in our lives. I am thinking more on the side of social life in college as to how it will be when we are done here. there is no more staying up until 4am playing video games with your friends. There is no more having Tuesday and Thursdays off. There is quite a few things that we enjoy doing now, that we just won't be able to do when we start to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome that you got a job before going into your senior year, that takes a lot of pressure off of you and lets you enjoy the ride a little bit more. Although the college chapter of life may be coming to a close, I wouldn't say that life is over. In fact you might think of it as a new beginning, you will have the opportunity to meet new people and find new hobbies and things that you enjoy. Sure, you may be working 40 plus hours a week but hopefully you will not have to take a lot of work home so you might have some more time that you didn't have in college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is super relatable, which makes it so easy to read! I can relate to how it felt moving in, wanting to be like my dad (who also attended ONU in his day) and my mom being emotional as well as myself. Finding a job is stressful, especially when you feel like you don't really have the skills sets yet to do anything in your desired field. I got an internship with the marketing team for the Columbus Crew and I'm excited to see where that takes me. Congratulations on the job you have lined up and enjoy your last year at ONU!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment